18 points, nickel to edge of chase) then place in bed by lifting on the spring loaded catch.
9. Check for correct position and at the same time adjust impression. If forme prints at the top of the tympan and not at the bottom, then more packing is required and less impression on the screw. Alternatively, if too much impression at the bottom of the tympan, then there is an excess of packing and not enough impression screw. Set delivery table guides.
10. Pre-set ink fountain to suit the job.
11. Adjust suction regulator valve on pump to suit the stock. Light stock requires less than heavy or full size sheets. Adjust the pile height pointer, tilt mechanism, blow-hole height and air-blast to suit. In most cases it is preferable to blow the sheet up to the suckers, with maximum tilt to allow for correct separation instead of having the pile too high, causing "doubles," mis-feeds and excessive grip. Balancing the correct amount of air between feeder and delivery is controlled by regulating taps on the various air lines.
12. Frisket bars (if needed), must be set with care otherwise damage to the forme or bad register will result. To check their position, release the frisket lever which is situated under the right hand side of the flywheel. This allows the friskets to move freely. They are automatically engaged when the machine is started. Thin spring steel lateral frisket fingers can also be attached to the frisket bars if so required. A slight bend or twist in either can cause considerable register problems. Do not bend them on any account.
This method of printing without guides (lays) is effective when printing odd shapes or jobs not requiring exact positioning. Details as above except:
1. Remove bottom lays from slide bar, unlock the slide bar and drop to bottom position.
2. Centre the stock on the feedboard along with the sucker bar.
3. Set the adjusting nut at the top of the gripper head to "without lays"
4. Centre job in chase. (Centre mark is inscribed)
Preparing the Kluge Platen
Remove side lay, dress the platen and fasten the packing into the bales.
Run up ink
1. Raise inking disc by moving lever towards the drive side.
2. Place steel riders on both forme and distributing rollers.
3. Adjust the movement of the inking disc if necessary.
Position the forme
Allow 3 to 5 ems margin from inside bottom of chase to edge of stock.
Centre stock to the chase from left to right. The chase is held in the bed by a strong clip.